Saturday, April 16, 2016

Personal Project: Old Railway Station

I continued with my personal project of architecture by going to the Old Railway Station in Kuala Lumpur. It is a grand old building, built in the colonial days in the early 20th century that still runs train out of it to this day. The facade is a brilliant white, and shows a mix of the ethnic culture of Malaysia as well as a mix of the old colonial days. I think that the railway station is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city, making a stark contrast with the skyscrapers that stand nearby.
For this shoot I used a twin lens camera, as I had for my last portrait project. This was the first time I had used it out on the streets, which definitely takes some getting used to. Thankfully, it wasn’t crowded there, so I could at least stand in the middle of the sidewalk and take several minutes advancing the film and focusing like some sort of annoying hipster tourist. A challenge with it was that getting an entire building and vastness of it was difficult in the square shape of the film. The end results were surprising because of the level of detail, especially from a distance. Hopefully, i can go out and try again, this time with a tripod so as to get more detail in the indoor pictures without the accidental movement. I would love to use the twin lens for architecture in the future so as to continue to achieve that high level of detail. I have been very happy with the results of the twin lens for architecture, more than I was with my portraits.




No comments:

Post a Comment